Monday, February 9, 2009

TV Table - Practical Woodworking


My wife doesn't re-arrange furniture - she just puts in requests for new pieces. Back to the shop it is then. I think I heard her say "nothing fancy dear" as I put on my shop apron.

We needed a TV table to hold the heaviest TV I have ever owned and probably the last CRT TV I will buy as well. The TV was to come out of the living room and into a bedroom.


The table is built from 2x10 Douglas Fir I picked up from the local hardware store. Nothing fancy - I just picked through the pile for the clearest planks they had. Back in the shop I ripped, jointed then planed the wood to a reasonable dimension. Most pieces are 1.5 x 4.5 so when glued up became 4.5 inches square.

The shape of the top is a trapezoid so as to fit into the corner of a room better. Under $25 in lumber, two weekends, and left over varathane to finish. The hardest part was keeping the shop warm enough (December) so the glue and finish could set.