Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bedknobs and Painted Wood


This project was inspired by a need for a bed for my daughter and suggestions a fellow woodworker at the office recommended.
Most of my projects are stained wood - Oak, Mahogony, Cherry etc. This is my first painted wood project. It was a blast to do the woodworking and this time out grain from a visual perspective was not a big deal. The painting was a blast as well. I used an airless sprayer and shot it with gloss latex. The overspray still present in my garage is a reminder that I need a spraybooth setup. Yet another project!
The foot and headboards are made of fir 4x4s and 2x4's covered with Lowes' "whiteboard" and pine tongue-and-groove panel board. The rails are plywood with leftover oak cap rails. Yes I painted over good oak material. Another work buddy dropped of a ton of oddball oak sticks that came in handy for this project.
The bed bolts together with a homemade bolt-and-pins mechanism. The bedknobs where made with a ball turning jig I built for my lathe. This was a fun project. More to come.....